The High School Process
The eighth grade guidance counselor facilitates the High School Application/Admissions Process. Starting in the seventh grade, the guidance department facilitates a workshop on the application process . Students and parents are made aware that the seventh grade school year is an extremely important year as the high schools base their selection/admissions on the records from this year. Seventh grade report cards, standardized test scores in ELA and math, and attendance are all considered by high schools when selecting students. Please use this link for a copy of the High School Application Process Presentation.
From September through December, the guidance counselor will inform eighth grade families about steps in the application process, important dates and events, and open house and information sessions. There is an information session held at the school for families in the beginning of the school year to provide an overview of how to go through the application process.
During the first few weeks of school, a student survey is distributed to all students that must be filled out to inform the guidance counselor of what performing arts/audition programs they would like to receive tickets for. This is also how a student registers for the Specialized High School Exam and the audition for Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School of the Arts. The guidance counselor will then distribute tickets to students who pre-registered for these schools. Generally, announcements, tickets and the actual application are all distributed through the homeroom teacher. The guidance counselor facilitates the process by using HSAPS-The High School Application Processing System, an online database where all application information is monitored and entered by the counselor.
We understand the importance of the High School Application Process. The guidance counselor is available for meetings by appointment to discuss your individual child’s application and to answer questions and concerns regarding the process. In addition, the guidance counselor is available to meet with students throughout the school day regarding their application. Parents should encourage their child to see the counselor for any questions and support.
Overall, the guidance counselors are available to support parents and students throughout the process. Our goal is to ensure that parents and students are provided with the knowledge to make informed decisions regarding high school choices. We work with families to make this process as smooth as possible.
Specialized High Schools Tours, Exams
Typically, these open houses are held starting in late October although. The list of Specialized High Schools with open houses typically include:
- The Bronx High School of Science
- The Brooklyn Latin School
- Brooklyn Technical High School
- High School for Mathematics, Science and Engineering at the City College of New York
- High School of American Studies at Lehman College
- Queens High School for the Sciences at York College
- Staten Island Technical High School
- Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and Performing Arts
- Specialized High Schools Admissions Test is usually held in late October. If you miss the regular test date, you must contact the guidance counselor immediately to make arrangements for a make-up exam.
- Specialized High School Admissions Test for students with special needs, 504's and extended time & Make Up Test (Permission only) is held on a different date.
- LaGuardia High School Auditions are held in two sessions, one for Manhattan residents in early November and another non-Manhattan residents. The date of audition will depend on your last name and the number of disciplines for which you are auditioning.
High School Fairs
Please note: The borough where you attend the fair will only have school representatives from that borough. For example, attend the fair in Manhattan; Only Manhattan schools will be present.
|Bronx||DeWitt Clinton Educational Campus
100 West Mosholu Parkway, 10468
|Queens||Francis Lewis High School
58-20 Utopia Parkway 11365
|Brooklyn||Sunset Park High School
153 35th Street, 11232
|Staten Island||Port Richmond High School
85 St. Josephs Ave, 10302
|Manhattan||Martin Luther King, Jr., Educational Campus
122 Amsterdam Avenue, 10023
Please see the NYC Board of Education High School Events page to find out about Open houses in different schools around NYC. Please note that this may not be a complete list.
In addition see a list of schools that will be at the Citywide and Borough High School Fairs. http://schools.nyc.gov/